By now we have all heard about solar panels in Worcester, MA and how great they can be for the environment and how much money they can save you on your utility bills, right? Solar energy is a hot topic right now and everyone wants more information on the subject. This is just a quick review of the ups and downs of using solar panels to provide energy for your home. The Bad news first.
The Bad – The initial set up costs or residential solar systems can be too expensive for most homeowners, up to $20,000 to professionally outfit a household. It can be a hassle to get a zoning variance, depending on your community you live in, if you need one. (Most communities don’t but if you live in a big downtown city, well….)
The Ugly – Most people don’t think about this but the amount of energy you can use is dictated by the sun. If you don’t have a have a backup system, it’s possible to run out of power! Either you need a good battery system to have power available when your not generating it or you need to remain connected to the energy grid in your local area. Not too many people seem to mention this when talking about solar panels.
What If I Get Solar On My Home or Business in Worcester, MA?
You will save energy by converting your home to use solar power and you will be conserving resources for future generations, and lowering your impact on the planet. You can also be paid by your utility company for the excess electricity you might generate. You can make money using solar power too! Not a lot to be honest, but some is better than none. Your property values will increase when you use alternative energy sources to power your home. The government also provides tax credits for certain solar applications. Cha Ching!
Many of us know that solar energy is a good thing, but few really understand why. Therefore, I compiled a comprehensive list of solar energy advantages and disadvantages that will enable you to make an educated decision whether on not Solar Power is right for YOU.
Solar Energy Advantages
1. Saves you money
- After the initial investment has been recovered, the energy from the sun is practically FREE.
- The recovery/ payback period for this investment can be very short depending on how much electricity your household uses.
- Financial incentives are available form the government that will reduce your cost.
- If your system produce more energy than you use, your utility company can buy it from you, building up a credit on your account! This is called net metering.
- It will save you money on your electricity bill if you have one at all.
- Solar energy does not require any fuel.
- It's not affected by the supply and demand of fuel and is therefore not subjected to the ever-increasing price of gasoline.
- The savings are immediate and for many years to come.
- The use of solar energy indirectly reduces health costs.
Using Home Solar Panels to Light Up Your House and Garden
- Solar energy is better to our environment than any known traditional forms of energy especially against fossil fuel and coal.
- Solar energy has many uses such as for electricity production or for heating of water through using photovoltaic cells and directly for drying clothes, like when people hang their clothes outside. Also, solar energy can be used to cook food as well.
- Solar energy can be used to heat swimming pools like heating water, it can be used to power cars, for powering attic fans, calculators and other appliances that uses solar. It also products light for people to use.
- A 1-kilowatt home system will help prevent 170 lbs of coal being burned into the air, 300 lbs of CO2 from being released and 105 gallons of water from being consumed each month!
- Relying on the battery back up pack, a solar energy system can provide electricity for 24/7, even on a cloudy days and during night time.
- A home solar energy system can help the owners reduce their monthly energy bill by half for those that have solar power and still connected to the energy grid for conventional electricity.